07 August 2013

I can has... Pop-tart?

Well, my dear friends, it has been a while indeed. Sorry for the lack of posting on my part. Since I had to work towards my MA in German, studying for the comprehensive exams became my top priority (though we all know what I would have rather been doing!!). Likewise, I thought I would have more time to embark on my crafty endeavours once I came home for the summer. I couldn't have been more wrong! Working non-standard shifts and hours in retail is rough. I found myself tired and not really in the mood to work on crafts. And, when I did, everything didn't come out so well.

I made a solemn vow to myself that before I start on any of the many kits I have accumulated over the past few years or so, I need to first finish what I have started. Remember when I said I was a craft-polygamist? Yeah. I meant what I said, too. So, the 2nd and 5th of each month I will dedicate to my UFO's and hopefully start knocking some of these things out.

Here's what I have left [at least, in cross-stitch]:
- Slipknot  Vol. 3 (the subliminal verses) album cover
- Cat guest towel for my sister
- 2 cats in a window (not sure what it's official name is, but it's a dimensions kit)
- Lion Rampant
- winter cardinals
- winter wolves

I think that's it for now. I honestly don't think I will ever get the Slipknot one finished. I've been working on it off and on for almost four years now...

So, because I was bored one evening, I created a cross-stitch of Nyan cat. Feel free to lose some IQ points and even some brain cells by checking it out here. For those that don't know, Nyan Cat is a weird animation that went viral on the internet. It has a cat in space, with a pop-tart as a body, and a rainbow trailing behind him. Yeah, your guess is as good as mine... but I must admit, it's kind of cute in a very odd sort of way. I decided to cross-stitch it just for fun. Here's how he turned out:

nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan!
To make this, I used my pattern that I made, Charles Craft aida cloth in Navy Blue, and Prism floss. I wasn't sure how the Prism floss would work out. I'm used to DMC or silk. Prism is cheaper and I got a huge pack at Michael's for a decent price. As you might be able to see in the picture, it gets pretty good coverage. I don't know if it's colourfast or not. It may not be, but so far, DMC is what I use for larger projects.


I remember seeing something that someone made nyan cat a while back on some blog that I used to read, but they didn't offer the pattern. I decided to open up excel and make it myself. After 3 hours of hard work, I had a decent pattern. If it looks similar to anyone else's pattern, keep in mind, I made this myself. I don't know if anyone has a pattern for sale of this, but I will gladly email it to anyone who would like it. I made it, so I hold copyright. I just had someone else's idea jumpstart my creative juices in my brain. Just comment if you're interested!

All pictures and the pattern by Brittany Grasser at Kveldulv Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment