26 October 2014

After six years in the making, the Slipknot cross-stitch is done!

You guys have no idea how it feels to write this, let alone finish a project that I've had going for six years. It is with great excitement that I can say that the Slipknot "Vol. 3 (the subliminal verses)" special edition cover is done!

It probably shouldn't have taken me six years. I started this in 2008 around the time of their "All Hope is Gone" album. That album was released after Vol. 3. Designing this project was a process in and of itself, but stitching it was even more difficult. There got to be several times I was so frustrated that I balled it up and put it in the corner and sometimes I had to put it in my little wastebasket.

In 2009, I went to Germany and didn't work on it much. In March of 2010, Slipknot's bassist, Paul Gray, passed away - needless to say, I still didn't want to work it because it made me too sad. After taking close to a year off, I eventually started to slowly work on the piece finishing the greater majority of it all. I thought that Slipknot was pretty much done as a band, and even so, I still wanted to finish the piece. In December of last year, my favorite member of Slipknot, Joey Jordison, was fired and they hired a replacement drummer.

Again, I lost a bit more motivation. My two favorite members were gone, and my favorite band that I've loved since their self-titled release in 1999 was falling apart. Then, I heard that Slipknot was going to continue without Joey and Paul. They scheduled the release for ".5 The Gray Chapter" for October 21, 2014. Even though I wanted a new Slipknot album, I had mixed feelings about listening to a Slipknot without two key members. Something just didn't seem right about that. I pre-ordered it anyway, and after finding out they were touring in Baltimore in November, I started to get more and more excited. Slowly my motivation for this came back.

It might sound corny, but I figured if the band could work through all these bumps in the road, why couldn't I? I was just a fan making some artwork. I didn't actually know any of the band members, and with that new mind set, I was able to finish this.

This is definitely a code: Awesome!

I get asked this a lot, so I'm going to address it: this is a one of a kind design and will not be sold. The reason I made this cross-stitch is not because I'm obsessed with Slipknot, rather they've been a very important part of my life for the past 15 years and their music has had a very positive impact on me. I thought that there was no better way to show my appreciation than with artwork. I hope someday the guys will get a chance to see it.

With that being said, I dedicate this piece to Paul Gray (1972-2010).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brittany, I'm a Slipknot fan too (surprise) and just wanted to tell you that the sampler is amazing. This is the sweetest sentiment I've ever read about that could possibly go into a project!

    ReplyDelete